Robert Maynard provided this photo of former Pollard’s star William Thomas at his butcher shop, on Hampshire Rd, Sunshine, sometime in the 1920s. William (centre) proudly holds his daughter Emma. His years performing for Pollard’s Lilliputian Opera Company in North America and Asia are far behind him.
My lecturers so long ago – Tom Ryan, Arthur Cantrill and Ken Mogg.
And the following people deserve special thanks;
- Julie K Allen, Brigham Young University, regarding Saharet
- Richard Bradshaw regarding Fred Stone
- Julie Hansen regarding Shirley Ann Richards and the Garden School
- Jean Ritsema regarding Saharet, Wanda Radford, Leah Liechner, Dulcie and Ashley Cooper
- Joyce Mostyn, Norm Archibald, John Armine Wodehouse Earl of Kimberley, Dianne Byrne and Simone Cubbin regarding Mary Maguire
- John Shrimski regarding Maie Saqui
- Martin Goebel, Jean Ritsema, Charles Zhang and Mark Lepp regarding Saharet
- Melissa Anderson regarding Lotus Thompson
- Catherine Crocker regarding Midas Martyn and the Pollard’s
- Robert Maynard regarding Willie Thomas and the Pollard’s
- Stephanie Welsh regarding Jocelyn Howarth
- Alan Garner regarding Norma Whalley
- Joe Jordan regarding The Desert Rats (1953)
- Tony Tibballs, Cinema and Theatre Historical Society of Australia
- Writer Robert Gott , Editors Jane Cussen & Ingrid Purnell
- Henry Rosenbloom from Scribe
- Katie Flack, Original Materials and Legacy Data Manager, State Library of Victoria.
- Sandra Joy Aguilar, Director of Archives and Curator at the Warner Bros Archives at the University of Southern California
- Joe Henderson at National Archives in Kew, England,
- Dan Gulino at radiowasbetter.com,
- Jock Murphy, former Director of Collections at the Baillieu Library, University of Melbourne,
- Dorothy Weekes, former Archivist at Academy of Mary Immaculate in Fitzroy, regarding Mary Maguire
- Sister Helen Salter, Archivist at Loreto Convent in Brisbane, regarding Mary Maguire
- Prue Heath, Archivist, SCEGGS Darlinghurst regarding Nancy O’Neil
- Marguerite Gillezeau, Archivist at Ascham College regarding Shirley Ann Richards, and also Archivist at Redlands, Sydney Church of England Coeducational Grammar School regarding Anona Wilkins (Winn).
- Zetta Florence of Brunswick St Fitzroy, who provide all my archival materials. They are in such good company, surrounded by the spirits of Daphne Pollard, Alf Goulding and many other forgotten performers in Pollard’s Lilliputian Opera Company.
Further reading is provided, wherever possible, at the end of each article. Hot links exist in the text to key primary and secondary sources online. The most common sources used include
- Kaz Cooke (2017) Ada. Comedian, Dancer, Fighter. Viking /Penguin. A fictional account of Ada Delroy‘s life [funny, extremely well researched and valuable in the absence of interviews with so many early Australian performers.] Her website is here
- Ray Edmondson and Andrew Pike (1982) Australia’s Lost Films. National Library of Australia.
- Hal Porter (1965) Stars of Australian Stage and Screen. Rigby Ltd.
- Brian McFarlane, Anthony Slide (2003): The Encyclopedia of British Film. Methuen Publishing Ltd
- Kirsty Murray (2010) India Dark. Allen and Unwin. [A fictional work inspired by the Pollard Tour of India in 1909-1910.]
- Phillipe Mora, Peter Beilby, Scott Murray (eds) and others (1974-2001): Cinema Papers (Magazine) Cinema Papers P/L, Richmond, also MTV Publishing and Niche Media. See digitised collection at the University of Wollongong
- Andrew Pike and Ross Cooper (1981 and 1998): Australian film, 1900-1977 : a guide to feature film production. Oxford University Press.
- Graham Shirley & Brian Adams (1989): Australian Cinema: The First Eighty Years. Currency Press
- Andrée Wright (1986) Brilliant Careers; Women in Australian Cinema. Pan Books Australia.
- Angela Woollacott, (2001). To try her fortune in London. Australian women, Colonialism and Modernity. Oxford University Press
- The National Library of Australia, digitised newspaper collection -Trove
- The National Archives of Australia
- National Film and Sound Archive (Australia)
- Australian Dictionary of Biography (online)
- Cinema and Theatre Historical Society of Australia
- David Kilderry: Drive-Ins Downunder
- Australia’s Ozsilentfilmfestival
- Screening the Past
- Garry Gillard – Australian Cinema
- Tony Martin-Jones Film History Notes.
- Ozflicks – An Australian Film Site
- Leann Richards :HAT-History of Australian Theatre
- Clay Djubal and others: The Australian Variety Theatre Archive: Popular Culture Archive, 1850-1930.
- State Library of Victoria
- State Library of Queensland
- State Library of New South Wales
- The British Library Newspaper Archive project.
- National Archives, Kew
- California Digital Newspaper Collection
- Library of Congress – Chronicling America
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Communication Arts: Lantern – Media History Digital Library
- Newspapers.com (by Ancestry)
- Bibliotheque National de France
Lists of films and stage performances are not provided. Moderately accurate lists of films are often found on the Internet Movie Database. (IMDB), however the reader should note that these are sometimes inaccurate. A list of Broadway performances can be found at the Internet Broadway Database (IBDB).
A list of some Australian stage performances can be found at The Australian Live Performance Database.