Robert Maynard provided this photo of former Pollard’s star William Thomas at his butcher shop, on Hampshire Rd, Sunshine, sometime in the 1920s. William (centre) proudly holds his daughter Emma. His years performing for Pollard’s Lilliputian Opera Company in North America and Asia are far behind him.
My lecturers so long ago – Tom Ryan, Arthur Cantrill and Ken Mogg.
And the following people deserve special thanks;
- Richard Bradshaw regarding Fred Stone
- Joyce Mostyn, Norm Archibald, John Armine Wodehouse Earl of Kimberley, Dianne Byrne and Simone Cubbin regarding Mary Maguire
- Martin Goebel, Charles Zhang and Mark Lepp regarding Saharet
- Melissa Anderson regarding Lotus Thompson
- Catherine Crocker regarding Midas Martyn and the Pollard’s
- Robert Maynard regarding Willie Thomas and the Pollard’s
- Stephanie Welsh regarding Jocelyn Howarth
- Writer Robert Gott , Editors Jane Cussen & Ingrid Purnell
- Henry Rosenbloom from Scribe
- Sandra Joy Aguilar (Director of Archives and Curator at the Warner Bros Archives at the University of Southern California)
- Joe Henderson (National Archives in Kew, England),
- Dan Gulino (radiowasbetter.com),
- Jock Murphy, (former Director of Collections at the Baillieu Library, University of Melbourne),
- Dorothy Weekes, (former Archivist at Academy of Mary Immaculate in Fitzroy),
- Sister Helen Salter (Archivist at Loreto Convent in Brisbane)
Some other actors well-remembered (offsite)
- George Beranger or André Beranger (George Augustus Beringer) [Bryony Cosgrove]
Born Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 27 March 1893
Died Los Angeles, California, USA, 8 March 1973
- Coral Browne (Coral Edith Browne) [Anne Rees, ADB]
Born Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 23 July 1913
Died Los Angeles, California, USA, 29 May, 1991
- Maud Jeffries (Maud Evelyn Craven Jeffries) [Clarissa Thorpe, ABC.net]
Born Lula Mississippi, USA, 14 December 1869
Died Gundaroo, New South Wales, Australia, 26 September 1946.
- Annette Kellerman (Annette Marie Kellerman) [G.P.Walsh, ADB]
Born Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 6 July 1886
Died Southport, Queensland, Australia, 6 November 1975
- Lottie Lyell (Lottie Edith Lyell) [Mervyn J. Wasson, ADB]
Born Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 23 February 1890
Died Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 21 December 1925
- Louise Lovely (Louise Nellie Lovely) [Ina Bertrand, ADB]
Born Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 28 February 1895
Died Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 17 March 1980
- Claire Adams Mckinnon [Virginia Maxwell ADB]
Born Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, 24 September 1896
Died Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 25 September 1978
- Betty Stockfeld (Elizabeth Baddeley Stockfeld) [Robbie Stockfeld]
Born Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 15 January 1904
Died Tadworth, England, 27 January 1966
Further reading is provided, wherever possible, at the end of each article. Hot links exist in the text to key primary and secondary sources online. The most common sources used include
- Ray Edmondson and Andrew Pike (1982) Australia’s Lost Films. National Library of Australia.
- Hal Porter (1965) Stars of Australian Stage and Screen. Rigby Ltd.
- Brian McFarlane, Anthony Slide (2003): The Encyclopedia of British Film. Methuen Publishing Ltd
- Phillipe Mora, Peter Beilby, Scott Murray (eds) and others (1974-2001): Cinema Papers (Magazine) Cinema Papers P/L, Richmond, also MTV Publishing and Niche Media. See digitised collection at the University of Wollongong
- Andrew Pike and Ross Cooper (1981 and 1998): Australian film, 1900-1977 : a guide to feature film production. Oxford University Press.
- Graham Shirley & Brian Adams (1989): Australian Cinema: The First Eighty Years. Currency Press
- Andrée Wright (1986) Brilliant Careers; Women in Australian Cinema. Pan Books Australia.
- Angela Woollacott, (2001). To try her fortune in London. Australian women, Colonialism and Modernity. Oxford University Press
- The National Library of Australia, digitised newspaper collection -Trove
- The National Archives of Australia
- National Film and Sound Archive (Australia)
- Australian Dictionary of Biography (online)
- Screening the Past
- Ozflicks – An Australian Film Site
- Leann Richards :HAT-History of Australian Theatre
- TravSD: Travalanche – The observations of actor, author, comedian, critic, director, humorist, journalist, m.c., performance artist, playwright, producer, publicist, public speaker, songwriter, and variety booker Trav S.D.
- Clay Djubal and others: The Australian Variety Theatre Archive: Popular Culture Archive, 1850-1930.
- State Library of Victoria
- State Library of Queensland
- State Library of New South Wales
- The British Library Newspaper Archive project.
- National Archives, Kew
- California Digital Newspaper Collection
- Library of Congress – Chronicling America
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Communication Arts: Lantern – Media History Digital Library
- Newspapers.com (by Ancestry)
- Bibliotheque National de France
Lists of films and stage performances are not provided. Moderately accurate lists of films are often found on the Internet Movie Database. (IMDB). A list of Broadway performances can be found at the Internet Broadway Database (IBDB)